About us

The Western Slovakia museum is a regional museum focused on national history and geography. It provides comprehensive museum documentation in the Trnava Region and within its specialization it fulfils the tasks of a supra-regional nature. The museum performs also methodological, coordination and control activities for museums in the Trnava Region and owners of valuable items within the Trnava Region.

The museum specializes in:

  • creation and history of the Dobrofest festival - the regional scope
  • history of book culture - the regional scope
  • history of campanology - the national scope
  • history of brickmaking - the national scope
  • personality of M. Schneider Trnavský and his work - the national scope
  • invertebrates in the field of paleontology - the national scope
  • history of the Slovak Learned Society and personality of Anton Bernolák - the national scope
Západoslovenské múzeum v Trnave

From the history


The Museum was established in 1954 as the Regional Museum focusing on local history. In 1955 special departments (science and history) were founded. In the same year the first Almanach of the Regional Museum in Trnava was published. A collector Štefan Parrák started to work in the Museum and his collections formed the basis of historical and ethnographic collections. The first display area was opened for visitors in 1957 (the Exhibition of Ceramics). In 1960 the name was changed to the Western Slovakian Museum.  The first exhibition was opened in 1974 under the title “From the History of Workers´ Movement of the Communist Party” in the district of Trnava, followed by an ethnographic exhibition in 1976.

In 2002, the Trnava Self-Governing Region became an administrator of the Museum. At present four buildings are administered by the Museum, three of them are national cultural monuments. In its collection fund the Museum preserves more than 160 000 objects of cultural heritage. Annually, 40 000 domestic and foreign visitors visit the Museum.


Building of the museum

Building of the museum on the Museum Square with exhibitions and exhibition areas open to visitors. Museum offices, depository facilities. Access for disabled people to the ground floor and toilet.

The Western Slovakian Museum is located in the building of the Monastery of the Poor Clares which is already mentioned in Trnava in 1239. The monastery and the church were rebuilt and enlarged several times. A medium-convent wing between two viridarium areas is considered the oldest preserved part. The current appearance of the monastery was the most influenced by reconstruction in the 17th century after the great fire. The building of the monastery complex belonged to the Order until 1782, when Emperor Joseph II set aside the Order of  Poor Clares and nationalized it. The building became a general military hospital (until 1850), later a hospital for mentally ill soldiers. During the second World War II American airmen used to hide there. After the establishment of the museum (in 1954) the building was allocated to the Regional Museum in Trnava. At present the monastery complex includes a building with two courtyards and the church.

Opening hours

Mondays - exhibition areas closed to the public.
Západoslovenské múzeum (ground floor of these building are also accessible for disabled visitors)

Tues – Fria   8,00 – 17,00
Sat - Sun 11,00 – 17,00

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

The church began to be built with the monastery soon after the arrival of the Clares to Trnava. It was originally dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. It has one nave with a straight  end of the presbytery. During renovations in the 17th century a tower was added to the church and the nave was extended by a ground-level refectory and increased oratory (choir loft for nuns). A rich stucco relief decoration of the oratory was  made in 1690 by ​​the painter Carlo Antonio Neurone. An entrance forged gate fitted in the old Gothic portal comes from the 18th century.

In 1996 the oratory was restored and in 2006 the exterior of the church tower was renovated.

Budova západoslovenského múzea
budova zapadoslovenskeho muzea
budova zapadoslovenskeho muzea
kostol nanebovzatia panny marie 2010
kostol nanebovzatia panny marie 1947
oratorium 2010
oratorium 1947

Museum of Book Culture

muzeum kniznej kultury
mikulas olah
expozicia v muzeu kniznej kultury

The building with exhibition premises focusing on the history of book culture is located on the St. Nicholas's Square. There are museum depositories.

The Renaissance buildings was built in 1561 by the Archbishop of Esztergom Nicolas Olah as a theological seminary and college. Still unfinished building burned in a fire in 1566. In 1590 the building repaired, but has not served as a workshop. From 1619 to 1919 it served as a shelter for old priests. Later, there was a canonry library . In the 70´s of the 20th century, it was reconstructed for the Western Slovakian Museum which  established there the Museum of Book Culture in 1979. It houses a permanent exhibitions focused on the book culture, as well as an exhibition dedicated to the life and work of the sculptor William Schiffer.

Opening hours

Winter 1st October - 31st March please call 033/5512913

Tues – Fri  8,30 –15,00 ordered visits
Sat - Sun 11,00 – 17,00 ordered group visits

Summer 1st April - 30th September

Tues – Fri  8,30 –12,30
  13,00 - 15,00 ordered visits
Sato - Ne 11,00 – 17,00 ordered group visits

House of Music of Mikuláš Schneider Trnavský

The building is located on the street of the same name which is used by the museum for exhibitions. A part of the premises is rented by the Music Department of the Library of Juraj Fándly in Trnava. Access for disabled people, toilets there.

Originally a baroque building was modified in the mid 18th century as a bourgeois house. During the Turkish wars, the Ugrian royal crown was hidden there. In the first half of the 20th century there lived and worked a composer Mikuláš Schneider Trnavský. The building was restored in the years 1994 - 199 6 as a multifunctional building with an exhibition devoted to the life and work of Mikuláš Schneider Trnavský. In 1996 an exhibition was open to the public titled  “The Hall of Fame of Dobro“.

Opening hours

Winter 1st October - 31st March please call 033/5512913

Tues – Fri  8,30 –15,00 ordered visits
Sat - Sun 11,00 – 17,00 ordered group visits

Summer 1st April - 30th September

Tues – Fri  8,30 –12,30 ordered visits
  13,00 - 14,30
Sat - Sun 11,00 – 17,00 ordered group visits
dom hudby mikulasa Schneidera Trnavskeho
dom hudby dvor
pamatna izba m. schneidera trnavskeho


kniznica a studovna muzea
kniznica a studovna muzea
kniznica a studovna muzea

Museum study and research room, depositories, conservation and restoration workplaces. Museum workshop and premises  to accommodate co-workers.

The building started to be built on the site of a ground-level town house in 1996. In 1998 a professional reference library moved to it originally serving to/for the museum library staff. In early 2002, the library was opened to the professional public.

Opening hours

Mon – Fri  8.00 -  12.00 (study time for the professional community)